rob mclennan (Ottawa, Canada): "Mark Cochrane's Dumbhead, Variation Three"
I am archivist, stuff for poems,
a birthmark of the moon—
this beautiful woman,
so delicious, went away,
went away,
lifting in a type of trace—
I cannot grieve
her little joke— secret symbols:
love, contentment, necessity,
lying body of betrayal,
limit to the world.
Whatever badges of cowardice
behind her,
the warmth of closing folds;
the peace that comes of entering
a tomb among foam,
in wait, the way a newborn
carries myth,
sympathetic blood of watching—
© rob mclennan 2006
a birthmark of the moon—
this beautiful woman,
so delicious, went away,
went away,
lifting in a type of trace—
I cannot grieve
her little joke— secret symbols:
love, contentment, necessity,
lying body of betrayal,
limit to the world.
Whatever badges of cowardice
behind her,
the warmth of closing folds;
the peace that comes of entering
a tomb among foam,
in wait, the way a newborn
carries myth,
sympathetic blood of watching—
© rob mclennan 2006
<< Home